Package Review Request: python-picloud

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Mar 6 10:07:01 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 03:11 AM, Vijay N. Majagaonkar wrote:

>     Please, no! %{__cp} hugely decreases readability and if the
>     situation happens that mkdir and cp are not in the $PATH we will
>     have much bigger problems than running sed on all .spec files.
>

> I am sorry but this will hit even if you don't use macro when tools are
> not in $PATH, unless you use full path
>
>     Use just plain Unix commands as $DEITY intended them to be used.
>
> I believe macro give you plain Unix command with full path.

It does, but the current packaging guidelines say not to use these macros:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Macros

   "Macro forms of system executables SHOULD NOT be used except
    when there is a need to allow the location of those executables
    to be configurable. For example, rm should be used in preference
    to %{__rm}, but %{__python} is acceptable."

When reviewing a package, you need to be familiar with the guidelines
and not suggest changes that are in contradiction with them.

Paul.