RPM 4.10 pre-release snapshots available

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Mar 7 14:09:31 UTC 2012

We're a bit late to our own party this year but rpm 4.10 pre-release
version should be headed for rawhide in not too far future. In the
meanwhile, in what is starting to become a tradition at this point,
Fedora compatible [*] SRPM(s) are available at
http://laiskiainen.org/rpm/srpms/ for brave testers who wish to take it
out for an early spin.

This is not supposed to eat your system alive - I run daily snapshots of
rpm on my systems throughout development and it certainly hasn't eaten
mine - but as usual, proceed with caution.

What's noteworthy about this version ... is that there isn't a whole lot
that you should notice. Probably the most user-visible thing is erasure
progress meters on -Uvh (and -evh), pretty much everything else is
behind the scenes improvements and fixes across the board. For the gory
details, work-in-progress draft release notes can be found at
http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.10.0

Feedback on both working and non-working experiences most welcome.

[*] The snapshot srpm assumes libdb aka Berkeley DB 5, which is what rpm
on Fedora >= 17 uses. If you end up testing with F16, you should build
against db4 to avoid having to jump through hoops to downrev the rpmdb
format in case you want to go back to "production" version. To do that,
just change the "bdbname" macro in the spec to "db4" before building.

	- Panu -