phoronix benchmarks ext4 vs. btrfs

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:31:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Yes, such a feature was submitted[1], but it has never been committed by Chris AFAIK. There is also a OS-agnostic method of this. Seagate XT drives use a small SSD as a cache. Then there is also a Windows method with Intel's SSD Cache using a dedicated SSD as only a cache. Either way gives you a similar result.
>
> I think I'd rather see a portion of the SSD be a discrete device so that the system and application scratch/swap can be pointed to it -

Swap? Really? That is a waste of (expensive) disk space. There is no
point on having swap on SSD if you have another disk around. You
wouldn't notice any speed difference if your system starts swapping
you are in serious trouble (i.e everything crawls) the best fix here
is to just buy RAM which is *very* cheap now days.