/etc/default in Fedora

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu Mar 8 16:20:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 17:21, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Why /etc/default dir is used instead of /etc/sysconfig? To be
>> honest - it's not really user friendly from long time RH Linux user
>> POV.
>>
> Just disable SELinux in /etc/selinux/config.

Which is exactly the use model of /etc we recommend everybody to follow.

/etc is *system config* and might be *default*, using another
subdirectory with that name is superfluous.

/etc/defaults/ makes no real sense to start with. It's either a
'default', then it belongs into the service compiled-in, or it is
local *system config* data, and then it's not a *default* anymore.
People who introduced that the first time seem just confused by
default. :)

/etc/sysconfig/ is a fedora'ism that we try to avoid as much as
possible. It only manifests the Linux balkanization, which hurts
everybody in the end. We shoud phase that out, it should only be
reserved for legacy hacks nobody wants to fix, and not be used for
anything new.

So, please all just use a subdir directly in /etc with the name of the
package/subsystem, and put your files in there, that's what /etc is
for, it is already *default* and *system config*. And please name and
layout everything in a way that upstream can ship it identical for
every distro, we really need to end the useless differences between
the distros.

Thanks,
Kay