phoronix benchmarks ext4 vs. btrfs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 9 07:13:55 UTC 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 12:10 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:

> On 09/03/12 07:43, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Don't file transfers get cached and return to a console as 'complete'
>> long before the data is ever written, sometimes?
>
> I've learned a long time ago, if you want to get near real numbers, you
> have
> to write data at least three times larger than memory size to get
> around file system caching. I guess, that's still valid.

OK well if I'm going to use real files, and I don't want disk read performance to be a factor in this, I kinda need to put the source files into a ramdisk. So if it's 3x of cache, out of 7.4G free, a 6G ramdisk would be at least 3x that of what remains for use as cache and should qualify?

Chris Murphy