phoronix benchmarks ext4 vs. btrfs

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri Mar 9 07:30:08 UTC 2012

On 09/03/12 08:13, Chris Murphy wrote:
> OK well if I'm going to use real files, and I don't want disk read
> performance to be a factor in this, I kinda need to put the source
> files into a ramdisk. So if it's 3x of cache, out of 7.4G free, a 6G
> ramdisk would be at least 3x that of what remains for use as cache
> and should qualify?
if your file system places data inefficiently on disk/storage, you want
to measure this, too. If you're comparing file system speed, I think,
you should measure the whole thing and be sure to create comparable
data.

You can't really control, how your file system cache is filled.
Although I must say,  measuring a the whole effort a few times
consecutively provides more reliable numbers (caution: but no
disk speed measurement).
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
               <mrunge at fedoraproject.org>