User session printing

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:21:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> Yes, exactly, and that is what I'm suggesting.  For printing entirely in
> the user session it is a case of using an alternative to using CUPS
> running on the local machine, so that means:
>
> a) no filters or drivers; the job document is the PDF produced by the
> application/print dialog
>
> b) no queueing; submit the job directly to the print server, and if that
> fails then explain why immediately

Seems reasonable. Immediate failures will be less for confusing for
everyone. And it'll give frontline technical support (community and/or
organizational) some ability to actually troubleshoot the failure as
its happening.

Back to the use case of a primarily single user laptop touching
multiple networks on a daily basis.  For that situation is it expected
that the default print server will still be the laptop's own cup
server for networked printers? Or is it expected that by default users
will be configuring to talk to the printer server daemon embedded on
the actual network printers without having to interact with a local
cups daemon at all? I just want to be clear on what b) will look like
as part of designed for flow.

-jef"Fail Faster!"spaleta