User session printing

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Sat Mar 10 09:54:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 08:21 -0900, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> Back to the use case of a primarily single user laptop touching
> multiple networks on a daily basis.  For that situation is it expected
> that the default print server will still be the laptop's own cup
> server for networked printers?

Networked printers that communicate using IPP, and which can accept PDF
natively, could be used directly from the user session without needing a
CUPS server, either running locally or on the network. In practice I'm
not sure how many jobs IPP printers are generally able to queue -- it
may only be 1. In a busy office it might be preferable to have a print
server machine running CUPS, and have clients use that instead of
sending jobs directly to the printers; that way jobs will get spooled.

There would still need to be a locally running CUPS server if any other
communication protocol is used (LPD, JetDirect, SMB/CIFS etc), or if the
printer does not accept PDF.  For one thing, those protocols don't allow
us to detect whether PDF is accepted or not.

Tim.
*/