More explanation requested for warning about rawhide inheriting updates

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat Mar 10 10:14:50 UTC 2012

The "Join the package collection maintainers" page gives the warning:

> Be sure that you build for rawhide (master) branch before pushing
> updates for any other branches! Otherwise, those updates will get
> inherited into rawhide, which is almost certainly not what you want.

I've never really understood that, but it's never previously caused me
any concern.  Since I am now in a situation where I want to push an
update to a branch (f16) without pushing any change to rawhide, it has
me worried.  Can someone please elaborate on how this "inheriting"
updates into rawhide works, and what can be done to avoid it?  I suppose
the meaning is probably crystal clear to everyone else who has read that
warning, but apparently I'm being dense again.

Thanks!
Eric