More explanation requested for warning about rawhide inheriting updates

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sun Mar 11 01:22:08 UTC 2012

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> Rawhide inherits from updates of the most recent branch, which is
> currently the branched release (f17). Updates will inherit from the
> release. A package is only inherited if there are no builds for it at
> the current level.
[and more good explanation]

Thanks!  That's exactly what I needed to know.

> There is a trick to use when you want to make an update for one
> release that you won't be doing in later releases and where you want
> to keep the later release versions higher than the update. You can add
> .1 (or .2 etc) after %{dist}.

I've seen that done, but didn't know the purpose.  I think it's the
right case in my situation.  I've updated muParser in rawhide, and am
pushing updates for F16 and F17.  muParser has a new so version.
Meshlab depends on muParser, but meshlab currently won't build in F17
and rawhide due to GCC 4.7 becoming more picky about C++ namespace
rules.  I'm waiting for help upstream with getting Meshlab to build with
GCC 4.7, but in the mean time I want to do a rebuild of meshlab for F16
to use the new muParser.  It looks like I should add the ".1" suffix
after %{dist}for F16 and push an update.

Eric