[Test-Announce] Test Day 2012-03-15: GNOME Shell and Extensions

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 15:07:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 10:07 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> There will be a "GNOME Shell and Extensions" Test Day on Thursday!
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2012-03-15_Gnome_Shell_and_Extensions
>
> Here's an introduction from Vitezslav Humpa, who's in charge of this
> event from QA perspective:
>
> While Fedora 17 Test Day cycle is starting to take speed, this week's
> Test Day is focusing on Gnome 3 again, in particular the gnome-shell
> extension management. Since the release of the new Gnome about a year
> ago there has been a great progress in ways one can customize it.
> Remember applets, desktop widgets etc. back in Gnome 2? Missed them?
> Now we have all that back in form of Gnome shell extensions! Shell's
> architecture makes it relatively painless to make them and lots of
> useful extensions are already out.
>
> There are several ways one can manage them. In addition to having
> gnome-tweak-tool, extension management has also been integrated with
> web browsers and https://extensions.gnome.org/. There you can search
> for and install extensions as well as generally manage them - all
> directly from the web. Haven't tried it yet? Go on, it's really nice!
> And while you're at it, you can kill two birds by a single stone by
> joining the Fedora Test Day as you explore the world of customizing
> your Gnome.

I know this should most likely be directed at upstream Gnome, but would
it be possible to redesign extensions.gnome.org so that it's... usable?
I mean, it's a list of extensions, ten to a page, ordered by popularity,
name or number of downloads.

Would it be so hard to add tags or categories of functionality? Right
now, I have to read through fourteen pages (and growing!) to get any
idea of whether an extension happens to provide a feature I might want.

I like gnome-shell, and I'd like to tweak it a little bit to fit my
needs better. But the extension website is so difficult to navigate that
it's really a deterrent. It will only get worse as people continue to
write new extensions (which, because of the default ordering of
"popularity" will always show up in the later pages of the site first).