Notice: IPv6 breaking issues tentatively considered blocker for F17

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Mon Mar 12 23:25:19 UTC 2012

* Thomas Woerner

> For now DHCPv6-client support is enabled in 'work' and 'home', but
> not in the default zone 'public'.
>
> Should we enable dhcpv6-client in the default zone and maybe others
> also?

Hi Thomas,

In my humble opinion...

Considering that the DHCPv6 protocol is almost an exact IPv6 replica of
DHCPv4, that it used for doing pretty much exactly the same in IPv6 as
DHCPv4 does in IPv4, and that the DHCPv4 and the DHCPv6 clients are
contained in one single binary executable, the only thing I find
reasonable is to allow DHCPv6 traffic whenever DHCPv4 traffic is allowed
(and vice versa).

To the best of my knowledge, currently, DHCPv4 client traffic is always
allowed in Fedora. (And I'm sure that changing that would cause an
outrage.) Which in turn means that the answer to your question is a
resounding YES.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson