F16 problems with git

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:17:04 UTC 2012

2012/3/14 Nikola Pajkovsky <npajkovs at redhat.com>:
> Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed recently a worrying git behavior. I often do something like that:
>> git fsck --full
>> git gc
>> git push origin master | backup of the entire tree in tar archive
>>
>> 'git fsck' or 'git gc' sometimes causes damage to the repository ie:
>>
>> $ git fsck --full
>> error: packed 694728b9fe62ad667f051a109c389403ffa0cb29 from
>> .git/objects/pack/pack-a4bae2576b36116f1962a5496674ea921eebb6c5.pack
>> is corrupt
>>
>> This time, however, after 'git fsck' rerun I don't get this error
>> message, but in other cases, the repository is corrupted. Has anyone
>> noticed similar problems with git on F16?
>
> Linus wrote nice document about recovering corrupted blob
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/howto/recover-corrupted-blob-object.txt;h=323b513ed0e0ce8b749672f589a375073a050b97;hb=HEAD

Thanks for sharing this link. This is a lot of git magic and I prefer
to do backups :)

"The most common cause of corruption so far has been memory
corruption" - it gives me food for thought.

I am using the SSD with Ext4 - I checked it recently with "fsck.ext4
-cvf", it may also be useful to check RAM.

> --
> Nikola
> --

Best regards,