This "karma" stuff is a pain!

Emanuel Rietveld codehotter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:29:33 UTC 2012

On 03/15/2012 08:24 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Luke Macken does Bodhi. It certainly sounds non-trivial to me, for a
>> start, Bodhi uses FAS and Bugzilla does not.
>
> It would be trivial if these decisions would be made by a human who is CCed
> on both (i.e. the maintainer of the package) rather than by software.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

Policy always hinders the most talented workers (in this case, the best
package maintainers). The purpose of policy is to limit the damage a
less experienced package maintainer can do.

How do we prevent an inexperienced package maintainer from prematurely
pushing updates to stable?

Perhaps you could allow package maintainers to add karma, but only on a
special page. The page has a short blurb explaining karma policy, and if
the maintainer wants to add karma himself, they have to click the reason
they're adding karma.

( ) "Works for me" Comment in bugzilla
( ) etc.. (other acceptable reasons)

This is probably only worth the effort if there is more than one
acceptable reason, and they are sufficiently common.

Emanuel