does /etc/sysctl.d/ really obeyed and does really override /etc/sysctl.conf

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:54:52 UTC 2012

but this does not make sense

the idea behind all .d is to allow packages to provide default (either
kernel defaults or distro defaults)
because the other choice is to use %post and sed

eg. let's say I made a firewall package that needs to enable
forwarding, it would put it in a sysctl.d

what do you think ?
what is the added value of having .conf overrides .d ?