This "karma" stuff is a pain!

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:34:26 UTC 2012

On 03/16/2012 10:06 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> David Tardon wrote:
>> How do we prevent inexperienced testers from giving undeserved karma and
>> thus causing an update to be automatically pushed to stable?
>>
>> One has to fulfil certain requirements before one becomes a packager.
>> But anyone with FAS account can give karma to an update...
>
> +1, the current policy is really flawed, we trust any idiot with a FAS
> account more than our sponsored packagers (and even our carefully vetted
> provenpackagers).
>
>          Kevin Kofler

But this policy also prevents the misuse of power, which is also a good
thing I think. And there needs to be more than one "idiot" to make any
changes to the update which is not the case of packagers or even
provenpackagers. Which I think is really helpful since in most cases
those people are also only humans which could make mistakes.
I think this policy helps to prevent updates which break a lot of stuff
when pushed to stable, it also provides a nice and quicker way of first
contact to check if there are some issues with an update.

Johannes