Qt compiler tool names

Aaron Faanes dafrito at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 03:57:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Aaron Faanes wrote:
>
> > I was wondering why Qt compiler tools (qmake, moc, uic, etc.) are
> > installed with each name suffixed with -qt4 (qmake-qt4, moc-qt4). This
> > diverges from how upstream names its tools (specifically, without qt4
> > added), so it caused me a little confusion when these tools appeared to
> be
> > missing.
> >
> > My solution was to add /usr/lib/qt4/bin to my PATH since this directory
> > contains symlinks that use upstream's name. However, I would prefer the
> > tools to be installed in /usr/bin without -qt4 appended. Is there a
> reason
> > why this shouldn't be done?
>
> We used the -qt4 postfix (which is a common practice among most distros
> these days) to allow for a parallel-installable qt3.

Ah, I figured it was something like that. I couldn't find it using the
following:

$ yum provides '*/bin/*-qt3'
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
No Matches found
$

So I guess the qt3 stuff lives in a repo I no longer have access to,
perhaps?

At any rate, the GNU Autoconf Archive has a AX_HAVE_QT macro that wasn't
aware of the -qt4 suffix, along with some other Fedora-specific deviations.
I'm going to submit a couple patches to that project in order to make their
macro work cleanly on Fedora, especially since things like -qt4 are common
practice.

Thanks for the response!

Aaron Faanes <dafrito at gmail.com>