Question about commiting the sources

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Mar 17 13:38:45 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:59:04 +0400,
   Pavel Alexeev <forum at hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:
>Long time want ask - why? Why sources not under git too? Is there any
>troubles with big blobs? Can I point on such files from web? How?
>Especially I need it to point on my patches to provide it upstream.

Well one reason not to have big blobs in the git repo for the package
is that it would make initial checkouts very large and take a long time
to download. And over time most of the big blobs would be useless for
packaging a current version.

If you are working with upstream to patch their code, you can checkout
their repository and use it for a base for the patches you want to
upstream.