F17-alpha: UI unusable

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sun Mar 18 21:23:00 UTC 2012

On 03/17/2012 12:51 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 00:17 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
>

>> And for anyone interested in the history of 3D graphics hardware here's
>> an article with a lot of good hardware photos and info:
>>
>>     http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/graphics_extravaganza_ultimate_gpu_retrospective/
>>
>> It's a couple years old but still good.
>>
> Hey, that's pretty good. Don't see any big mistakes, and they even got
> the i740 in there. Solid 8 or 9 out of 10 I'd say.
>
> I've owned far too many of those...

Same here.

Anyway, back to the original problem of seeing my old laptop with NVidia
GeForce FX 5600 graphics work with F17.

I tried the following live cds with these results:

    Fedora 15 i686 Live:            graphics work
    Fedora 16 i686 Live:            graphics work
    Fedora 17-alpha i686 Live:  graphics fail

So whatever got broken appeared to happen between F16 and F17 - at least
for my FX card.

Question then would be, can I do a yum upgrade to go from F16 to F17 or
F18 if things aren't fixed for F17?