/usr/share/applications weird error on koji

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:09:05 UTC 2012

On 03/19/2012 12:50 PM, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a package. It's an update on SparkleShare
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/sparkleshare> package.
> I build it locally with mock and everything seems ok. Package is built
> successfully. But when I try to build it on koji I get an error and
> build fails on both f16 f17 targets:
> "The databases in [/usr/share/applications] could not be updated."
> which I think has something to do with the desktop-file-validate on
> %install phase
>
> See the relevant koji task and build log for more:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3908835
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> --
> Nikos Roussos <http://autoverse.net>

 From the log, it looks  like it fails in 'install-data-hook'. If so,
the culprit might be some Makefile.am. Have upstream updated a
Makefile.am to include 'desktop-file-install', failing when not making a
"real" install int /usr?

If this is right, you should be able to verify that the %install hasn't
really begun when the error is triggered. If unsure, put some simple
'echo' statement in top of %install to verify that it hasn't been started.

If this doesn't help, scanning the generated Makefiles for
'desktop-file-install' and/or  '/usr/share/applications' might give  a clue