RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 15:37:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 15:19 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> This is very much a draft, but I'd like to start a discussion regarding
> what we expect from primary architectures. Feedback not only welcome,
> but actively desired.

> In order to ensure that these expectations are met, secondary
> architectures must meet various criteria before they can be promoted:
> 4) All supported platforms must have kernels built from the Fedora
> kernel SRPM and enabled by default in the spec file. Each kernel must be
> built in a timely manner for every SRPM upload.

I do not like this requirement. This seems to be specifically provided
to block the possibility to have ARM as a primary architecture if we do
not want to support just one or two ARM platforms. I do not really see a
problem in limiting platforms during rawhide development and branched
development. Additional platforms could be enabled for final builds
before the release freezes and for update builds.

Another solution might be in koji where the kernels for the additional
platforms would be built in parallel on multiple build hosts. Of course
that would require changes in koji.

Of course the general requirement that builds on the architecture to be
promoted must not take much longer time than builds on the current
primary architectures still stays.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb