RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 16:38:36 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 08:47 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> There's nothing blocking ARM from building multiple kernels in that
> requirement.  They just need to all be enabled in the SRPM that gets sent
> to koji for the build.  We do this for 32-bit x86 already by building both
> the normal and PAE i686 variants.  The intention is to basically have a
> consistent and reproducible build for all kernels built from a single SRPM.

This is infact what we're doing now- a single kernel build produces rpms
for a number of different ARM platforms (omap, tegra, imx, versatile, etc).

> I really don't think we want to enable additional kernels for final builds
> that have not been tested at all during development of the release.  That
> doesn't make sense at all and sounds like poor engineering practice.

Agree.

>> Another solution might be in koji where the kernels for the additional
>> platforms would be built in parallel on multiple build hosts. Of course
>> that would require changes in koji.
>
> That would be acceptable of course, and it would still fit with the
> requirement above just fine.

I'm not sure how it would work, but if koji can be extended to
distribute a single arch build across multiple systems where an
identical srpm can be built with a koji-controlled set of flags, this
would take care of the wide-breadth of kernels needing to be built.

We've also had some success with distcc, but have not proposed using it
as reproducability of builds becomes an issue.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com