RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 17:42:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
 > > The hardware is way slower ... so we can just build on faster hardware
 > > (x86_64). Which is the only sane way to do it.
 > > Trying to build on ARM directly is kind of a gimmick but nothing one
 > > can seriously use to build a whole operating system. (Yes it works but
 > > it is way to slow).
 >
 > Well, we've done a number of mass rebuilds, a complete bootstrap from
 > scratch, and several releases now. So, it might be a "gimmick", but it
 > works. We need to stop thinking of ARM as it was 10 years ago. This
 > year, we're going to see systems with 288+ cores in 2U of rack space.

Why are you even bringing up this as yet unreleased hardware in the context
of "arm32 builds are slow" ? Even if it was released today, it doesn't
solve this problem at all.

"Arm32 as primary" and "Arm64 as primary" are two entirely separate discussions,
and conflating the two isn't solving anything.

	Dave