RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 18:16:32 UTC 2012

On 3/20/12 8:58 AM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:

> I think the real question is, for the developers of on devel-list, how
> will longer builds for one arch than another affect your workflow?  If
> builds on two architectures start at the same time, but one takes longer
> to finish than the other, how will that impact you?  Right now you'll
> still be able to see and use the results of the faster build before the
> slower build completes, so are you materially impacted?

You are materially impacted.  AutoQA won't run until the entire build is
complete.  Updates cannot be prepared until the entire build is
complete.  Buildroots won't be updated with the build results until the
entire build is complete.  You won't know if your build /fails/ on the
arch until it's done, etc...

Having one arch significantly slower than the others absolutely creates
material impact upon developers.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!