RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 18:18:18 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 10:54 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> As far as I know, this proposal is driven by community people, not Red Hat
> people.

Many people in the Fedora ARM community are Red Hat people, but that's
hardly relevant to the proposal.

> We're starting now, that's what the secondary architecture is for. There's
> no need for ARM to be a primary architecture for Fedora to be "ready" for
> it.

No, Fedora ARM started years ago.  There comes a point where a secondary
cannot continue to grow.  To become more than it is, it needs the
support and interest of the main Fedora community.  We are reaching that
point.  That is why we are having this discussion.

> (And I don't see myself using an ARM as my primary machine in 2 years. It's
> more likely that I'll still be using the same machines I use now, I don't
> replace my hardware that often, and even this old Pentium 4 is faster than a
> "fast" ARM machine.)

I sincerely doubt it.  Compare specs to a Tegra 3 chip.  And that's just
a mobile system.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com