RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 18:54:16 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 11:50 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Okay, but how many ARM servers are in widespread use?  For the resources
> required as a primary arch, there should be a large expected user base.
> The first sentence of the detailed description on the feature page is
> "ARM processors are the most popular CPUs in the world." but that is
> entirely irrelevant if you aren't targeting a significant number of
> those CPUs.

Believe me, I want to target those CPUs, but no single proposal can
include all the steps necessary to get there.  Think of ARM-on-primary
as the first of many steps designed to get us there.  If you've ever
climbed a mountain you'll know that the trick getting to the top is to
put one foot in front of the other.  This is just a step along the way.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com