RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 19:25:42 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 12:03 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Okay, but why is ARM-as-primary-arch an early step, and not near the
> end?  Increasing the developer and engineering burden across the whole
> project should not be done for a small target audience.

Really there is no beginning and no end, so we're somewhere in the
middle ;-)  ARM-as-secondary was earlier.  ARM-as-primary is next.
Fedora-on-tablets is later.  Fedora-on-cellphones is later.  The bottom
line is that Fedora is an rpm-based native-built operating system, so
ARM servers come first.  Fedora isn't currently built to run efficiently
and smoothly on embedded devices.  That's okay, it's nice to have
followup projects.  Meanwhile ARM servers are going to be important too.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com