RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 20:03:54 UTC 2012

On 3/20/12 12:32 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 03/20/2012 12:19 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> What does "better than secondary arch" mean to you? I'm really
>> struggling here.
>
> As an example, the same koji server handling x86 builds handling ARM
> builds.

Only the koji hub would be the same, the arm builders would be different
machines.  This isn't all that different from having the primary hub
trigger the arm hub to start a build on the arm builders.

> The same facilities providing power, cooling, storage.

The PPC builders are there, or at least were at some point, why not
propose moving some arm stuff there for the arm secondary arch effort?

> Subject
> to applicability, the same QE mechanisms being employed.

I don't see SA/PA mattering as much here.  It's up to QE what they want
to take on and what they point automated tooling at.

> The same
> release schedule.

That's set by you, as a secondary arch.  Why not pin it to the Fedora
release schedule and see how well you do?

> Comparable positioning on the Fedora downloads pages.

That's a big ball of "another issue" there.  That's a constant fight
within the spins of the primary arch products, and from what I've seen,
Arm products are more closely aligned with spins than anything else.

That said, within the websites group perhaps there is room for a
featured secondary arch, with high visibility.  Having something to
point to first would help.

> Primary and secondary are night-and-day different, it isn't just the
> integrated build system being disconnected, it's end-to-end.
>
>> We as a group have identified many of the roadblocks or pain points of
>> bringing arm into primary arch.
>
> What pain points have been described other than "I am concerned about
> the impact of builds on the whole running slower than they do now"? This
> is not a facetious question, this is really what we're trying to get
> from the thread.

Did you just ignore the emails starting these two threads by mjg and
pjones?  I believe they outlined some very good requirements for getting
a secondary arch into primary.  These longer threads have been debating
some of the finer points of those proposals.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!