RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 20:55:32 UTC 2012

> I would suggest -- in order to move the present discussion on -- that
> you try using various methods to speed up an ARM build of (eg) glibc.
> distcc, some sort of demo cross-compilation, etc.  What works, what
> doesn't work, what needs more work?

Distcc suffers from a fatal flaw: You can't reproduce the build.
Transient failures and corruption cannot be tracked down.  We've done
lots of experimentation with distcc, even using distcc + a cross
compiler.  It does great stuff to build time performance, but it
sacrifices build integrity for performance and that's not an acceptable
condition for PA.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com