H.264 in Fedora 17!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 20 22:27:28 UTC 2012

Fedora Video wrote:
> It is time for Fedora to stop promoting low quality, proprietary, and
> unlicensed video like WebM and Theora and adopt the industry standard
> x264.  Our political preferences are worthless if Fedora is irrelevant.
> It is time to regain relevance!

Fedora will never ship patent-encumbered codecs. H.264 support will be added
when all the patents expire, i.e. in one or two decades. Fedora 17 will NOT
support H.264. Patent-encumbered codecs are evil and it is time to embrace
Free codecs. Everyone who cares about the web supports Free codecs. Even
YouTube has adopted WebM.

        Kevin Kofler