RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 20 23:21:25 UTC 2012

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 05:37:10PM +0100, drago01 wrote:

>>> I'm a big fan of cross compilation, but introducing it into Fedora in order
>>> to support ARM seems unlikely to succeed for too many reasons to go into.
>>
>> The reasons are? ....
>
> We use cross-compilation right now for mingw-* packages (for Windows).
> However you cannot use cross-compilation to create a foo-*.armv7hl.rpm
> package.  That's because our entire toolchain, from RPM through Koji,
> simply does not understand cross-compilation properly.

Well, the mock/rpm part is the smaller part of the issues (I use
customized mock setups on Fedora to build mingw-* and cygwin-* packages).

> Solvable, but undoubtedly a ton of work for everyone.

The real issue would be to re-utilize "foreign native rpms" (here
*.arm.rpms) to install them in sys-roots on x86.

(Fedora's mingw*-toolchains are explictly packaged to fit into x86)

Ralf