H.264 in Fedora 17!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 01:26:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 01:46 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Avi אבי Alkalay אלקלעי  wrote:
> > What are the legal tools that Ubuntu uses so it can ship H.264 ?
>
> It's based on the Isle of Man, not in the USA.

Regardless, as far as I know, Ubuntu does not ship h.264 encoding or
decoding support in any of its standard, official releases. It has only
done so in custom OEM builds, with specific licensing agreements in
place - the systems provided with h264 support were licensed. See
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/05/canonical_h264_video/ , for
e.g., from when this 'ubuntu ships h264' meme first started going
around. It really doesn't. If you google 'ubuntu h264', what you get are
lots of instructions for installing packages from third-party repos.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey