F17 latest yum update hoses grub.cfg, grubby?

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Wed Mar 21 03:30:20 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 06:24 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> After a yum update a few minutes ago, GRUB's kinda messed up. Anyone else?

Yes, it happened to me, too, after booting an up-to-the-minute anaconda install DVD
for _update_ (not fresh install).   I built the DVD to test the changes that are
claimed to fix the problems of last weekend.  This is on "bare metal" real hardware
(including physical DVD) with no virtualization of any kind.

I recovered by re-running a complete fresh install, because I had only a
short time invested in the originally-installed system.

> Eventually it boots, but uname -r indicates 3.3.0-0.rc7.git0.3 not 3.3.0-1.

Yes.

> So is this a problem with grubby? Or is this ... wait. Why does the GRUB2 menu says it's GRUB  version 2.00~beta2, and yet yum says what's installed is 1.99-19 from repo koji-override-1? grubby is 8.10-1.

Yes, I see the same versions.