F17 latest yum update hoses grub.cfg, grubby?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 21 05:43:49 UTC 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 8:56 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I'm guessing it's the new grub2. I think I've seen another report of
> problems installing new kernels after the grub2 update, but I don't see
> any bug filed. Can someone file a bug on this, please?

When I boot from Fedora-17-Beta-TC2-x86_64-Live-XFCE.iso and rpm -qa for grub2 I get:
grub2-1.99-19.fc17.x86_64

When I boot from the yum updated version of this on hdd, I also get:
grub2-1.99-19.fc17.x86_64

It doesn't seem the yum update included an update to grub2 proper. I'm not sure this is a grub2 bug. Is grubby still being used after kernel updates? Or is anaconda calling grub2-mkconfig? Whatever modified grub.cfg is what caused the problem.

Bad grub.cfg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3253801/grub.cfg.bak

Good grub.cfg (after manually running grub2-mkconfig)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3253801/grub.cfg

I'm not seeing a big difference that would cause so many problems, but this is an indicator to me that possibly grub2-mkconfig didn't create the grub.cfg

Bad grub.cfg:
set default="0"

Good grub.cfg created by grub2-mkconfig (manually by me):
set default="${saved_entry}"

Only other thing I can think of is that there was something wonky that got stuffed into grub.env, which was cleared in the course of me running grub2-mkconfig.

Chris Murphy