F17 latest yum update hoses grub.cfg, grubby?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 21 06:08:21 UTC 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:53 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> The yum update didn't update grub, but it did update the kernel. This is
> the first time you have done a kernel update via yum with the new grub2.
>
> grubby updates the grub.cfg file.

It seems reasonable to consider this a grubby bug, yes?

I think I found the problem in its grub.cfg (the one I named grub.cfg.bak). In the two menuentry lines after ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux; those menuentry lines do not end with {. So everything after that is misinterpreted. Hence the syntax errors and incorrect command.

The first menuentry that does end in { happens to be an entry for the old kernel, a line that doesn't appear to have been modified by grubby or was modified correctly.

Chris