F17 latest yum update hoses grub.cfg, grubby?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 06:27:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 00:12 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2012, at 12:08 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
> > It seems reasonable to consider this a grubby bug, yes?
>

> Considering grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg produces the exact
> correct result, guess I'm not understanding the purpose of grubby. Are
> we in transition?

grubby is less 'drastic' that grub2-mkconfig. it takes the existing
config and appends a new entry to it. grub2-mkconfig blows away the
config and starts over again each time.

i don't recall whether we ever made a specific decision to keep using
grubby over grub2-mkconfig or whether it's just inertia, though. pjones
might.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey