H.264 in Fedora 17!

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 08:46:21 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 22:29 -0400, Fedora Video wrote:
>
> > In any case. This argument is moot. Fedora will distribute H.264
> > because it will be part of Firefox.
>
> No, it won't. You persist in misunderstanding this, though it has
> been
> explained to you. Firefox will take advantage of a system h264 codec
> where one is available. In the Fedora system, one will not be
> available.
> Firefox will not contain its own h264 codec.

Even if Mozilla decides to ship theirs own bundled h264 decoding
library, it will be against Fedora policies and it would have to
be unbundled.

The only thing we can do here is to make it easier for people to
get these not nice codecs if they demand the support. Maybe in the
same way as with Fluendo MP3 long time ago? If you want it, take
the risks on you and pay the licence fees...

But it brings us back to the "do we want to support proprietary
patented codecs and actually make them stronger by paying them"?

In the embedded world it's really more difficult - that's why
FF mobile is going to adopt h264 - hw decoders as CPUs are not
capable to decode the video on the fly. On desktops, we are able
to decode WebM without hw support (even it's nice to have).

R.