RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:01:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/21/2012 09:21 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> Except when people are forced to look at it, their solution was often
>> ExcludeArch for PPC.  As I said in the other thread, you cannot force
>> people to care about an architecture they don't know or want to learn.
>

> That suggests we need a FTBFS-like nightly test that lets us know about new,
> unexpected ExcludeArches in the distro.

TBH we need someone to take over the FTBFS things that Matt use to do,
there's still 400+ packages that are FTBFS on x86 primary arch post
the F-17 gcc 4.7 mass rebuild and even some going all the way back to
the F-12 mass rebuilt (yes 3 mass rebuilds ago!). that number was
actually much closer to 600 but the ARM team have fixed well over 100
of those on mainline because they were blocking what we were doing on
ARM. Then once that is in place a means of tracking
ExcludeArch/ExclusiveArch would be an excellent and very useful tool
for all arches, primary or otherwise IMO.

Peter