ARM as a primary architecture

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 14:43:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 14:31 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 02:28:10PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
> > What about all the other xorg-x11-drv* video cards, admittedly they're
> > generally considered legacy but there are a lot that don't do 3D at
> > all there.
>
> Of the hardware still produced, they're either things Adam listed as
> unsupported, don't have 3D engines or they're powervr.

Oh, yeah, fair, I totally forgot to bitch about Poulsbo there.  Insert
standard bitching about Poulsbo here.

Of hardware not currently in production - where, again, we're talking
about whether a 3D driver could usefully be written to enable
gnome-shell on the hardware - it's still a remarkably short list.  Via
did some DX8 parts, XGI before they went out of business, possibly a few
SiS parts before they did the same.

I should emphasize that I don't think hardware 3D needs to be a blocker
for a primary arch either.  My beef was just with the phrasing that
implied that "only 3" GPUs was somehow inadequate.

- ajax