Heads up: rpm 4.10.0 alpha to hit rawhide shortly

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Mar 21 19:18:36 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 07:51 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 3/21/12 2:04 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> as I assume createrepo (and thus deltarpm) doesn't actually get invoked
>> in the srpm creation phase, right?
>
> That's correct. fedpkg is used to do the "fedpkg sources" call which
> downloads the tarball from lookaside. After that it is out of the
> picture, we rely on pure rpmbuild to build up the srpm.

Ok, thanks for confirming. The fake provide hackery should allow us to
get past that hurdle for the time being, once I figure out what the heck
is going on with the initial src.rpm creation: the payload appears to
only get cpio headers and the actual content is missing. I haven't been
able to reproduce that outside of koji, which makes debugging it a tad
exotic.

If fedpkg is only used for the source retrieval in the buildroot, we
should be able to get rid of it completely: rpm 4.10 can download
missing sources (from a look-aside style place or directly from upstream
location), what's missing is a mechanism to validate checksums of the
downloaded content (and that's why it's disabled in 4.10). So unless
there are other (future) plans for fedpkg use in buildroots, perhaps we
should burn some cycles into getting the checksumming mechanism into
rpmbuild rather than a slimmer version of fedpkg.

	- Panu -