F17 latest yum update hoses grub.cfg, grubby?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 20:27:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 15:14 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> *shrug* I think grubby makes for an increasingly cluttered grub.cfg.
> >> With the latest behavior I'm seeing with 2.00~beta2's grub2-mkconfig,
> >> it cleans up after itself nicely. The grub.cfg pretty clearly
> >> indicates it can be clobbered, by design.
> >
> > yeah, I have to admit I get the feeling we're kind of swimming against
> > the tide, now. I'm not sure it would be so terrible to just decide to go
> > with the upstream design, run grub2-mkconfig any time grub2.cfg needs
> > updating, and tell people to do customization in the /etc/grub.d stuff
> > as upstream intends.
> >
> > The whole point of going with grub2 was to get closer to upstream and
> > reduce our maintenance burden, right? grubby feels like a substantial
> > chunk of maintenance burden too.
>
> grubby wraps multiple bootloader configurations.  grub, grub2, yaboot, and
> possibly one other.  While it might be reasonable for it to just run
> grub2-mkconfig if it detects grub2 installed, it's still needed for the
> other bootloaders that are used in Fedora.  Otherwise the kernel spec
> would need to handle all of this directly instead of calling grubby.  That
> sounds like a nightmare.

Yeah, pjones reminded me of that on IRC, I'd kind of forgotten.

Although, strictly, what we call in the kennel spec is new-kernel-pkg,
right? And that's what looks at all the bootloader config files and
decides what to do. So I guess it would be new-kernel-pkg which we would
change to call grub2-mkconfig instead of grubby when it finds a grub2
config. If we wanted to do that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey