H.264 in Fedora 17!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 22 02:20:03 UTC 2012

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> The only thing we can do here is to make it easier for people to
> get these not nice codecs if they demand the support. Maybe in the
> same way as with Fluendo MP3 long time ago? If you want it, take
> the risks on you and pay the licence fees...

As far as I know, Fluendo actually does sell a H.264 decoder for GStreamer
(which is the framework Firefox is going to use), but unlike the MP3 one:
* its copyright license is proprietary (the Fluendo MP3 decoder is BSD-
licensed and only the patent license restricts your freedom) and
* it costs money.

Those issues make it not an attractive option for most people compared to
gstreamer-plugins-ugly. :-)

        Kevin Kofler