ARM as a primary architecture

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 08:10:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:23 AM, drago01 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>> our "computers" are about to become typewriters. It will not be a decade longer.
>>>
>>> http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/03/canalys-more-smartphones-than-pcs-shipped-in-2011/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Engadget%29
>>
>> While I agree that we will see more smartphones and tablets in the
>> future the people that actually replace there traditional computers
>> with tablets or even smartphones are near zero.
>
> You're assuming they had a computer to begin with.

I was talking about this people. People that had no access to
computers to begin with are of course a different story.

> The data is noisy but there's a significant minority who do not have computers, now buying a smart phone. This will grow. They may never end up with a desktop. Even Apple has disconnected a requirement for having a desktop. My parents are candidates for replacing their laptop with just an iPad. Maybe 1/4 of the friends I have use a desktop/laptop once a week or less.

Interesting. People I know just using them (tablets) as "toys" to play
some causal games, surf the net & read mails. They go back to there
laptops / desktops to do anything beyond that.

> And increasingly less often. Their phone? Can't live without it. It's already a primary device.

Well people couldn't live without "dumbphones" either so this is
natural progress.

>> Sells do not really tell the whole story as many people simply don't
>> have a need to buy new laptops/desktops because what they have is
>> "good enough" so they spend there money on other gadgets.
>
> Mobile devices are replaced more frequently than desktops, which could also skew the data toward mobile. But Apple didn't become the biggest company in the world by market capitalization, eclipsing Microsoft and even Exxon-Mobile, by selling desktops and laptops. It's iOS. (And the iMonostore.)

"I agree that we will see more smartphones and tablets in the future"
... yes no doubt that market still has a potential to grow. I just do
not believe that a significant amount of people will throw there
desktops/laptops away and use tablets / smartphones instead.

> Desktop computers are used overwhelmingly for email and web browsing. It's total overkill. The desktop computer is a super computer that no consumer really needs. It's a dying market. It's now servers and mobile. The transitional element will be laptops/ultrabooks (netbooks obviously are dead) which will keep desktop operating systems and x86 around as a significant minority, but not for long.

Tablets are 99% consumption only devices. Your are missing the
"production market" ... people do use computers to do work, write the
apps that the tablet/smartphone people enjoy etc.
So no there is still a marked beyond the consumption only devices
(tablets) and the data centers (servers). The world is not black and
white.

> Thunderbolt on an ARM tablet to connect a larger display, bluetooth keyboard, and internet access and the overwhelming majority can do what they need to do.

Which is a lot more work then simply open the laptop and start working.

> The economies of scale of desktops, even in business, is dropping rapidly.

Not seeing this happening. Switching to tabelts is just unproductive
(it does make sense for some uses though).

> For home users, it has already happened a while ago. They don't need a desktop. They probably don't need a laptop either.

When home user == "only consumes content" then yes but that is not
necessarily the only use of computers / laptops at home either.