ARM as a primary architecture

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:28:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see that this discussion has gone from ARM as a primary architecture
>> for Fedora to a general Tablets vs PC market discussion. IMHO, While
>> there is no doubt that the tablet/mobile market is growing rapidly,
>> The desktop and laptops are there to stay.
>>
>> Considering ARM as a primary architecture for Fedora is not a bad
>> idea. But Sorry, why is this proposed? Do you intend to run Fedora on
>> your smartphones or tablets?
>
> It's got nothing to do with smart phones and tablets. We don't intend
> on supporting Fedora on smart phones (not to say a third party group
> can't though), we're reviewing tablets and it will certainly be
> possible to run it on tablets, the level of support out of the box is
> undecided.

Well this is harder then you think as most tablets don't allow you to
change the OS (easily) while others don't allow you to change it at
all.
The only ones where this is possible right now are actually x86 based
tablets. Even Windows 8 wont help here as MS mandates that the
devices are locked with secure boot without having an option to disable it.