ARM as a primary architecture

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 17:46:09 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 12:23 AM, drago01 wrote:
> While I agree that we will see more smartphones and tablets in the
> future the people that actually replace there traditional computers
> with tablets or even smartphones are near zero.
> Sells do not really tell the whole story as many people simply don't
> have a need to buy new laptops/desktops because what they have is
> "good enough" so they spend there money on other gadgets.

I don't believe phones and tablets are going to completely usurp desktop
computers, but if Fedora doesn't offer a path for people whose primary
"computer" is a cell phone or tablet, we lose out on the next generation
of developers and end users.  That's a sure way to irrelevance.

Then again, all this is beside the point: We're targeting ARM servers in
the proposal.  The groundwork we lay with ARM servers will also lead to
Fedora's ability to support mobile devices including ARM laptops,
tablets, and phones.  But it's a much longer journey to run Fedora on a
phone than it's going to be to run it on a server.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com