ARM as a primary architecture

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:15:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 3:16 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>
>> I said the people I was talking about used them as toys. (Please read
>> what I wrote and don't try to refute stuff that isn't even written
>> there).
>
> Don't get in a huff over things I haven't said either.

Didn't do that (intentionally).

> Most people are also very entertained by these toys.

Which is fine ...

>> Again see the enterprise part "(it does make sense for some uses
>> though)." ... those are those uses. I am not saying tablets are
>> useless. I am just saying those are *different* devices.
>> You don't replace a plane with a car either.
>
> That's improper logic. The iPad is replacing 15 pounds of Jeppessen charts. Paper. They are going directly from paper to tablets. No laptop in between.

Last time I checked a "paper" isn't a laptop / pc so replacing a paper
with tablets (which can be the better choice depending on the use
case) does not mean "people are replacing there pcs with tablets".

> As an (inactive) pilot, I fully expect professional pilots to migrate strictly to tablets on the road, and maybe intermittently use a desktop/laptop as a transitional device. That is already underway.

Because it makes sense there. Again I didn't say that tablets are
entirely useless. I just said "tablets are a new type of device not
desktop/laptop replacements".

>> Well I'd prefer a real boot or an ereader over a computer or tablet.
>
> My dad is 82. My sister bought him a Kindle for his birthday middle of last year. He uses it more than the laptop, more than real books. The transition took maybe a couple of months.

A kindle (unless you mean the kindle fire tablet) is an ereader which
aligns exactly with what I have said.

>> Most people that buy smartphones today *do* have laptops / desktoĆ¼s.
>
> In the whole world? You're sure about that? I'm not.

It might not be the case in some regions but overall yes.

>> Actually speed isn't an advantage see the (now dead) netbook hype. For
>> most people current speed is "good enough" (hence no need to go buy a
>> new computer every year).
>
> I see this as 2-4 years for the consumer desktop upgrade market's meaningful existence. 4-6 years for laptops. People use them less and less already, and will upgrade them less frequently. And at the point where what they want to do on mobile no longer requires them to go to laptop? Why have one?

Again creating content. Anything that requires more then typing a few sentences.

>> Office, DTP and probably others or in short "content creation".
>
> My customers are desktop publishing. It's a small market.

Yes but it is just one of the "content creating" markets.

> And yes, they will continue to buy more powerful machines longer than the rest of the market. But look at where Adobe is emphasizing new development. Cloud applications. For content creators.
>
> One of my largest customers has done more training and modernization for content creators recently than in years, primarily driven by ebook. That demand is not ebook on laptop, it's ebook on mobile devices.

Again reading is content consumption which makes sense on ereaders
(and maybe tablets to an extent) but actually writing the books? No.

My point is if you are only consuming content you might be fine with
just a tablet but as soon as you want to create content it is no
longer fine.
Each tool has its uses.