ARM as a primary architecture

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 20:38:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 15:32 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I would still like you to consider the question of whether this holds
> > for the Fedora case, though. Is Fedora as a project in fact suitable -
> > either in current implementation, or in terms of our self-definition and
> > long term goals - for this whole 'market' you are identifying as a
> > single entity? Are we in fact truly interested in producing code for
> > these content consumption devices? Is that what we're doing?
>
> The only way to measure this accurately, like anything else in Fedora,
> is by the number of contributors. I will be looking to contribute to the
> ARM project in some way in hope that I can one day replace my aging N900
> phone with newer, faster hardware and a real GNU/Linux image.
>
> Red Hat needs to get into the phone/tablet business: Red Hat Enterprise
> Mobile!

It doesn't seem like a huge over-reach to assume that any RH interest in
ARM is more on the server side than a raging desire to take on Android
and the iPad :) (Note: I don't have any sekrit inside info on this. It
seems like a reasonable guess, though.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey