Fedora 16 and Firefox 11 crashing hard

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 22 22:36:07 UTC 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

> On 03/22/2012 06:02 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 2012, at 3:20 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>

>>> Haven't been having any other problems with other apps but I'll look at
>>> running memtest.
>>>
>>> Here are some particulars:
>>>
>>>   kernel-PAE-3.2.10-3.fc16.i686
>>>   firefox-11.0-1.fc16.i686
>>>
>> What happens if you regress to an older kernel, or an older version of FF? Faster than memtest.
>>

>> Chris Murphy
>>

> Chris, already ran the memtest:  no errors.

Let it run overnight once you're done for the day. I've been surprised reading on btrfs list how many corruptions have involved due to bad RAM corruption, don't show up in even an hour's testing.

Try the F16LiveCD. If that fails, try the F17betaTC2 Live CD. If that fails, I'd suspect hardware of some sort and let memtest run overnight. If LiveCD works, you could skip the memtest, and then work on narrowing down what's causing the problem. Could be disk corruption... I have had several experiences with SDC myself. One I'm absolutely certain was disk SDC, and in the other two cases, strongly suspect.

Chris Murphy