RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 23 02:22:25 UTC 2012

drago01 wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
> wrote:
>> I'm surprised emulating ARM in QEMU is so much faster than qemu-system-
>> x86_64
>> (which was how I measured the 50 times).
>
> Given that x86_64 is way more complex then ARM it is not *that*
> surprising.

I think the fact that they're using userspace emulation rather than system
emulation is actually the biggest difference to the setup I was using, and
accounts for a significant part of the difference in slowdown. (Note that
userspace emulation wasn't an option at all in my setup, for x86_64 on 32-
bit x86.) To know for sure, we'd have to measure how long it takes to do
builds with qemu-system-arm, assuming we can get that to work at all.

        Kevin Kofler