Booting Fedora from LVM with grub2

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 15:16:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 19:41 +0100, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> because I have read, that grub2 should be able to boot from LVM. I have
> done the
> following test in a VM
>
> 1.) Fresh install of Fedora 16. Unfortunately, I can't create a disk
> which contains olny
> a volume group, so I have taken the default partition schema to install
> Fedora..

I was able to complete an install of F17-Alpha just now with all lvm. I
had to force the use of MSDOS disklabel instead of GPT (used parted's
mklabel command on tty2 while the anaconda prerelease warning was on
screen on tty6), then I used custom partitioning to create a single
partition on disk as an lvm pv. I then created logical volumes for root,
swap, and home. The rest of installation went smoothly, as did the
reboot.